Causes, symptoms and treatment of lead poisoning

Lead is a heavy metal mainly used in industries. Lead is found in batteries and paint. Lead is also in our bodies. When the lead in our body exceeds a certain level, it is called lead poisoning.

About lead poisoning

The lead content in our body can exceed a certain value. This is dangerous and is called lead poisoning. Lead poisoning can occur in two ways. This can cause chronic lead poisoning or acute lead poisoning. Chronic lead poisoning occurs when one inhales and swallows lead dust over a long period of time. Acute lead poisoning occurs when one is suddenly exposed to a high concentration of lead vapor. Breathing these fumes is very dangerous. In the past, fuels still contained lead and the risk of lead poisoning was greatest. Today, lead poisoning is rare thanks to many health measures. Nowadays, lead poisoning mainly occurs in people who work in a sector where lead is common. This is mainly the industrial sector.

The effects of lead in our body

Lead enters the bloodstream after ingestion. There it mainly damages the red blood cells. It also affects our nervous system. The kidneys and bones are also damaged by lead. The result of lead poisoning can also harm children. This manifests itself in developmental disorders.


The symptoms of lead poisoning are very diverse. Below is a list of symptoms that may indicate lead poisoning.

  • Rash
  • Insomnia
  • Fatigue
  • Hyperactivity
  • Headache
  • Decreased appetite
  • Blue colored gums
  • Encephalitis
  • Nausea
  • Anemia
  • Paralysis in various parts of the body



Given the dangers of lead poisoning, it is important to remove lead from the body as quickly as possible. Substances are used for this that are not entirely harmless to our body. These substances are administered to our body and bind to the lead. This compound is then excreted from our body. We call this chelation therapy. The lead binding agents can have side effects. The damage caused by lead poisoning to organs such as the kidneys can nevertheless be permanent. Brain damage is also usually permanent. Therefore, it is better to prevent lead poisoning.

Related Posts